Frozen Shoulder (Painful Arc Syndrome)
Shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint and during this clinical syndrome which occurs when the tendons of the rotator cuff muscles become irritated and inflamed as they pass through the subacromial space, this will lead to the condition where the capsule that surrounds the shoulder joint becomes contracted and form adhesions of scar tissue. This can result in pain, weakness and loss of movement at the shoulder
The rotator cuff muscle tendons pass through a narrow space between the acromion process of the scapula and the head of the humerus. Anything which causes further narrowing of this space can result in impingement syndrome. This can be caused by bony structures such as subacromial spurs (bony projections from the acromion),. Thickening or calcification of the coracoacromial ligament can also cause impingement. Loss of function of the rotator cuff muscles, due to injury or loss of strength, may cause the humerus to move superiorly, resulting in impingement.
Who are at risk ?
Diabetic patients, thyroid problems, prolonged joint immobilization, heart disease, parkinsons disease, shoulder trauma.
1. Freezing stage :This is the most painful stage were the movements are restricted with not much stiffness and can last for 2-3 months.
2. Frozen stage : In this condition pain reduces, stiffness increases and last for 16-24 weeks.
3. Thawing stage: Gradual degradation in pain and mild changes in ease of movements and can last for more than one year.
Signs and symptoms
- pain, weakness and a loss of movement at the affected shoulder. The pain is often worsened by shoulder overhead movement and may occur at night, especially if the patient is lying on the affected shoulder.
- grinding or popping sensation during movement of the shoulder
- Range of motion will be reduced
According to ayurveda the whole body movements are controlled by vata.in this case it’s a joint disorder where the normal function is blocked by different factors either external or internal,they are called aaganthu(external) and nija(internal) Which will be blocking vata dosha and inturn vitating the doshaleading to a condition of decresed movements,the symptoms manifest according to the causative factor,
Medicinal Management(Oushadam)- Internal medicnes
This Herbal medicine strengthens the Nervous System and muscles along with anti inflamatory and analgesic in action with no side effects.
Local Measures(Sthanika Chikitsa)- External treatments
- relives myo-facial spasm
- strengthens muscles
- arrests progression and helps rejuvination by increasing circulation
- restore back mobility